Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sex Positivity.

Why bother with a longer headline? If the words "sex positivity" don't set the hook, what will?

Okay. It's Valentine's Day, and I thought taking my girlfriend to a fancy romantic restaurant in San Rafael would be a nice night out. A little traditional, maybe a little conservative. Staid, even. But that's pretty much the kind of person I am. I put on my "try to be a little more exciting" hat and cast around looking for some ideas other than the standard dinner out, just to see what else might be worth doing. I took a look at Oaklandlocal.com and what do I find -- a whole feature promoting "sex positivity" for women through adult boutiques in Oakland.

I know I've been away for a while, but where did this come from, when did this start, and is it basically just for women?

First stop: wikipedia. I need answers. Is this some sort of strange New Hedonism movement? A throwback to the Summer of Love? What in the heck is sex positivity? I was ready to be all weirded out. Of course, after a little research, it turns out it's a pretty normal, healthy idea, just with a strange name. Although, around here, it seems to be heavily female focused...which seemed a little strange.

The headline says Oakland is "home to several sex-positive businesses that offer more than retail". You see some adult boutiques in Oakland and Alameda that offer sex toys and tips and advice, they only mention women. Then there is this outreach to your home that sounds like a 21st century version of Tupperware or Avon Calling, where someone shows up on your doorstep with a bunch of sex toys for a passion party - but again, for women-only.

A friend of mine in Chicago started a website called Get Lusty and that has some contributions from men, but it seems like that might be an isolated example.

Sex positivity ought to reach out to everyone... I think. Right? Equal...positivity? I think this bears some further investigation, and discussion. Interesting concept and idea, and who's not for a more open, enlightened understanding of human sexuality? But if we're going to be open, and enlightened, and allow for a better understanding of this among everyone, shouldn't men be involved?

Anyway, it all sounded interesting, enticing, and possibly educational...but we ended up going out to dinner. And I'll just stop the story there ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment