Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Good Golfing in The Oakland Area is NOT an Oxymoron, Thank You Very Much

I detest this quote attributed to Mark Twain: "Golf is a good walk spoiled."

In fact, some dispute if he ever said that. As one who caddied for my dad when I was a 10, golf is a lifetime joy. I spent more quality time with my dad playing golf than anywhere else, and he would have loved the choice and access to good, basic golf in and around Oakland.

The public courses are well maintained, relatively cheap, and often bask in the East Bay sunshine, whether along the coast or up in the hills. None of these courses is more than $60 on weekends (I think Tilden is $65 with cart), and the bonhomie is real and welcoming - no snobs, just good folk. I've played with stroke victims who cherish every moment outdoors, I've introduced friends to Carlotta's grilled hotdogs at the 12th in Lake Chabot. I've shared twilight fairways with deer and turkey buzzards.

I've made friends at Lake Chabot, where on a clear day, the view from the 15th fairway to Oakland, Bay Bridge, San Francisco, Golden Gate and Marin is just astonishing.

The best practice area is at Oakland Metropolitan, by Oakland Airport, where the natural turf is more forgiving that plastic mats. Just north of the airport are two courses at the Chuck Corica golf complex in Alameda. You can always find a game here.

I wonder about the private course at Sequoyah, which this year celebrates its centennial, and while I love the views from Grizzly Peak Boulevard in Berkeley, I haven't played yet at Tilden Park. I just keep hearing you have to allow up to 6 hours to play on weekends, and that just is too much.

I will be playing soon at Monarch Bay in San Leandro just south of Oakland airport and will report back soon.

What's your favorite course?

No comments:

Post a Comment