Sunday, October 21, 2012

Al Fresco vs. El Stinko

Hey, Ivan...what's that stench? Is that part of the ambiance?

So, there we were walking through barren Jack London Square one night to choose a restaurant for me, my girlfriend and a chum visiting Oakland from Boston.

"Yeah, Oakland has got some surprising places to eat," I told my friend. We peeked into some of my favorites down there: Scott's Seafood and stopped by Kincaid's, checking menus, prices, and through the windows, saw most places were pretty empty. I didn't know why - it's not like Sunday is a totally dead day downtown, and Jack London is a pretty fun area. We strolled past Bocanova's (which I also love) quite busy outdoor seating to check out Il Pescatore across the way. But an ungodly stench blocked our path to the Italian fish restaurant - the public toilets on that given night emitted an unspeakable olfactory assault that literally drove us away.

What an incredible smell you've discovered! ...Let's get out of here.

Fortunately, Bocanova, was upwind... and after a hasty retreat from the miasma, we were rewarded with an exceptional and memorable dinner of Pan-American cuisine. We sat outdoors enjoying moonlight, sailboats bobbing in the breeze, and real excitement jumping out from the menu. My friend from Boston wants his wife to emulate the roasted beets with feta, pistachio, chile and herbs, while I remember the chorizo-crusted sole and sweet potato chipotle gratin. None of us has ever experienced anything like the warm chocolate croissant bread pudding.

As we got up slowly to waddle back to the Square, the wind shifted and blew a whiff from El Stinko in farewell. Thanks, Jack London Square, for the memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment